It’s been ages since I last updated so I will recap the major jobs that have been done in the last few months. At my last update, we were just finishing the top level flooring.
After finishing the floor we put vapour barrier up and then the plasterboard.
Then we put up the partition walls, insulated with wood fibre put the plaster boards up (oh and the electric wiring too)
Due to a water infiltration problem we coulden’t finish the room on the western side,
One room finished! (well, we still need to do the joins between the plasterboards, render the far wall, paint and treat the wooden floor and beams. But that is for next year.
We then replaced a poor quality small roof window with a larger good quality Velux in the other room (the one with the leak).
We can now see the tip of the trees in the distance. (This job was done by a pro to gain time)
The staircase and landing, (I forgot to mention that putting the partition walls included new doors too).
We finally received the horizontal water heater and installed it. Hot showers once more, what a treat!
The plumbing is temporary hence the bucket for the overflow.
Proper double glazed windows! Not as pretty as the original ones but more efficient thermally and allowing a lot more light to penetrate.
Original window (rotten frames and cracked class)
The old window was removed, and we rebuilt the contours with cement, nice and flat to receive the new window.
First new window.
As I am writing this, I am sitting in my new outdoor kitchen (photos to come soon). I heard a racket in the cellar/workshop next to me and my old fear came back: « RATS ». I went to investigate and found the culprit. What a cutie! here he is. The noise came from the bag.
A few minutes later, another racket, this time it’s the sound of clinking bottles. A party animal for sure!